Ergebnisse der EY Studentenstudie 2020

Results of the EY 2020 Student Study • Profiling Institute

Image source: © goodluz for

The EY Student Study 2020 looked at various areas that are relevant to students. What are the results of the EY Student Study 2020?


Before the results EY student study 2020 are presented, the aim is to present the study. The study is from an auditing company Ernst & Young Ltd and released in October 2020. They were there more than 2000 students interviewed. 50 percent were women and 50 percent were men. 53 percent were aiming for a bachelor’s degree, 28 percent for a master’s or master’s degree, 10 percent for a state exam, 4 percent for a doctorate, and 5 percent for a diploma.

At 22 percent, the majority of respondents studied engineering or computer science. The economy came in second at 16 percent. Social sciences are third with 15 percent.

Satisfaction and relevant issues

Now it will be about the results of the EY 2020 student study. One of the results is that satisfaction respondents with their current personal situation in contrast to previous years and especially in contrast to 2018 he dropped Yippee. In 2020, 79 percent of students said they were very or somewhat satisfied with their situation. This is the lowest figure ever reached in the survey. The share of respondents who said they were very satisfied was only 18 percent in 2020. For comparison, in 2018 it was 34 percent.

The EY Student Study 2020 results also address which Topics and areas of life are particularly important for students in the long term be. The family unchanged from previous years with 70 percent in first place, follows friends and social environment with 63 percent, area Leisure and Sports with 43 percent career advancement with 31 percent, which is a lot standard of living with 30 percent and social commitment with 20 percent. The sequence of individual topics is the same for women and men, although in some cases the percentages differ slightly. The biggest change in the importance rating compared to the previous study was the point of professional advancement. The number of students who consider it important has dropped by 10 percent. Social engagement also lost importance for the respondents and lost 7 percent.

Then they asked which one Current topics are important they are for students. The topic remains a top priority with 89 percent human rightsfollowed Environmental and climate protection with 87 percent. The topic is now in third place Health and Covid-19 at 86 percent. Respondents also consider the topics important poverty alleviation worldwide (78 percent), international crisis and war (78 percent) who fair distribution of wealth (77 percent) who economic development in Germany (74 percent) who global financial and economic crisis (69 percent) who lack of resources in oil and gas (68 percent) and the development of the euro or currency stability (61 percent). Compared to the last survey, economic topics lost their importance for respondents.

Motives for choosing a course

EY Student Study 2020 results are also addressed motivesthat behind it Field selection withstand. The top four positions remained unchanged from the previous poll and are as follows: A personal interest or hobby with 91 percent, good career prospects or job opportunities with 89 percent, good gain potential with 81 percent and employment opportunities with 79 percent. The theme has a great response social reputation lost. In 2020, only 44 percent of respondents cited this as a motive, compared to 71 percent in the previous survey. The motive to continue in an already started apprenticeship is also losing importance and in 2020 it is only 38 percent compared to the previous 64 percent.

The weight and sequence of motifs is on female and male respondents the same. However, the points of good earning potential and career opportunities were important to more male respondents than female respondents (40 percent of male respondents versus 33 and 32 percent of female respondents).

The results of the EY 2020 student study at this point were further expanded upon subjects respondents divided and presented. It turned out that in courses Law and economics good earning potential were rated as particularly important and also more important than personal interests or hobbies. The percentage figures for earning potential in law were 51 percent and 49 percent in economics. In contrast, the values ​​for personal interests were only 42 percent (law) and 38 percent (economics). That personal interest they play a particularly important role in humanities (85 percent), cultural (84 percent), social (69 percent), natural (66 percent), and language and literature (63 percent) courses, while earning potential would play a lesser role in these courses.

job prospects

The EY Student Study 2020 results also looked at various aspects of students’ career prospects. First it was about how the students did probability assess, find a decent job immediately after graduation. The most confident ones showed up law studentsof which 67 percent answered “yes, of course,” followed engineering sciences or computer science with 44 percent, law with 42 percent and social Sciences with 41 percent. Students of cultural (25 percent), language/literary (25 percent) and humanities (21 percent) fields see it less positively.

She was also asked how the students The impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the prospects of quickly finding a job after graduation assess. This is assumed by 44 percent of respondents equal chances out. 42 percent see slightly or significantly worse odds for them. Only 14 percent estimate a slight or significant improvement in their chances. Furthermore, the proportion of students who see deterioration or improvement according to subjects was considered. In doing so, it turned out that only medical students in the majority increase their chances he would see. In contrast, the proportion of students who see a deterioration is particularly high in cultural and economic courses.

The results of the EY Student Study 2020 also looked at whether respondents Career plans have changed during the coronavirus pandemic have. 73 percent did No change plan, while 27 percent plan to change. With 11 percent, the majority would plan to extend their studies in the hope of easing into the labor market. 9 percent would also plan to start work a few months later.

Moreover, it asked what kind criteria examined important to their careers assess. Unchanged in first place with 92 percent Practice and work experiencefollowed contacts (79 percent) a Good grades (74 percent). The criteria of an interesting CV with unusual positions, experience abroad and volunteer work have lost their meaning.

Estimated starting salaries

The results of the EY 2020 student study further look at respondents’ expected starting salaries. men would thus with 42300 euro per year highest expectations compared to women with 38,700 euros. Expectations are also higher in West Germany at €40,700 than in East Germany at €39,500. The average expected starting salary is 40,500 euros.

Related to courses had doctors’ highest expectations to their starting salary. Lawyers, engineers or computer scientists, economists and natural scientists follow in other places. Humanities and cultural scientists had the lowest expectations.

Factors in choosing an employer

In the EY 2020 Student Study the most important factors he asked about it when choosing an employer are taken into account. First place is here safety with 67 percent. Salary and potential salary increases are in second place (55 percent), Work-life balance in third place (39 percent), Flexible working hours in fourth place (34 percent) and opportunities for advancement in fifth place (33 percent). In last place is the availability of a company car with 4 percent. Flat hierarchy and collegiality (22 percent to 41 percent) and opportunities for advancement (33 percent to 39 percent) became significantly less important.

These results of the EY 2020 student study were again after Genus shown split. Both sexes have safety in first place (women 69 percent, men 66 percent).

Both Women this follows second Salary/potential salary increase (54 percent), follows Work-life balance (47 percent), flexible working hours (34 percent) and proximity to place of residence (29 percent).

Both men that is also second Increase in salary/salary (57 percent), follows opportunities for advancement (38 percent), Flexible working hours (34 percent) a Work-life balance (30 percent).

Finally, there were also finds disciplines broken. Factor safety it is therefore particularly important for students from majors Science (74 percent), law (70 percent) a engineering sciences or computer science (69 percent). It is less important for students of social sciences, economics and cultural studies. But even here the values ​​are around 60 percent.

Factor pay According to the results of the study, this is especially important for students of the subject Economy (61 percent). Students majoring in languages/literature (51 percent), cultural studies (48 percent), and humanities (40 percent) rate this factor as less important.

Here you will find the EY Student Study 2020:

EY student study 2020

Other posts you might be interested in:

About the author J Bohlken

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *